Thursday, January 28, 2010

9 weeks

Today, I am 9 weeks.

I am tired

I am moody

I am a wee bit depressed (my psychopharma thinks its the progesterone)

I am having a little tiny bit of bleeding but not too much

We get to see A&B on Saturday (hopefully)


I went to see a psych doctor yesterday that has twins of her own. She didn't want to increase my anti-depressant until I am off the progesterone and my blood volume has increased. Then she will consider upping the amount. She asked me how I felt about having twins and I told her about waiting to hear from my back guys if they consider me OK to carry twins. It was great to be able to explain my reservations and anxiety to someone.
Then we went to our couples therapist who I think is mad that we are having twins. She seemed mad by the time we left her office even though she had offered to help us through etc. It may have been my husband yawning and acting the ass through the session. He has a total inability to be in a conversation that is difficult. She gave us this very detailed visual about what the first two years are like using Mount Everest. At the end of it my husband says " i saw something about Everest on tv"

WHAT!!! WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT??????

I also think our shrink thinks that between the two of us we are mad to even contemplate something as emotionally demanding as twins. She's probably right. But it's a little too late now!!

I have spoken to many people who have twins and they all say the same thing. It's madness in the beginning but I wouldn't trade it for the world. That is what I am trying to think about.

7 comments:

  1. You'll be great. And eventually DH will step up, probably not the way you envision it though! At least that is my experience...(no twins however)

    Collect helper people, accept help from anyone you feel isn't a wacko. I was soooo stressed with just one, I can't imagine doing two with no help (we have no family and at the time no close friends nearby). I wish we were closer cuz I'd love to help out! Although of course, if all goes well I'll be hugely pg by the time you give birth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've sort of summed up having twins like this: I've never had one so I have nothing to compare the difficulty of one vs. two. Two will just seem like the norm to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. DH's comment about Mt. Everest made me laugh out loud. He'll step up when the time comes (if he knows whats good for him!). I think men are late bloomers in that department. Thinking of you and wishing you both well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on 9 weeks!! I think you will be tired for a very long time, but hopefully the depression will lift soon. LOL on your husband and the Everest comment!! Cracke me up! I'm sure you wanted to smack him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have often thought in the last 6 months that having 1 would be much easier. That being said, for a while we only had one at home while the other had a guest pass in the NICU. I have to admit, it was hard to have one as well.... Like others you have talked to, I wouldn't change it for the world. Right now, however, I would like to get some more sleep.

    I'm glad to hear that you are talking to your therapist(s) to deal with all the stress. I have an anxiety disorder. We, fortunately, didn't have to change meds too much during my pregnacy. I actually cut down on seeing the psycologist b/c going to see her (when I started to get hugely pg) was more stressful than not talking with her! life, *sigh*

    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  6. After everything you've been through, I think you'll handle twins just fine. Of course you will be tired, of course the demands will be new and different, but I believe the comments of the moms of twins who say they wouldn't trade it for the world. You'll have to learn to let go of certain things...like taking care of your DH (tell him he's old enough to take care of himself). Maybe his Everest comment was a combination of denial and fear...maybe he's worried both babies won't make it and he's protecting his ego? I don't know, I just can't believe he wasn't paying attention.

    But hey, congrats on 9 weeks! A few more weeks and you'll be entering the second trimester!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am guessing that it is very difficult to not worry when you are having twins. You will do fine.

    Congrats on the 9 weeks.

    ReplyDelete