Friday, September 3, 2010

Welcome to the tribe ...

When we are the hospital I asked the attending every day to circumsize my son. Each day they said 'yeah, of course' but it never happened. I have spent the last 3 weeks trying to get the someone in the practice to do it since the pediatrician office told me they can only do it at 6 months under general. That was not going to happen to my little lad.

Yesterday my doctor told me that it wasn't going to happen, so sorry etc. However, she gave me the name of a mohel who performed a bris on her sisters kids.

My husbands mother was born Jewish and that makes him Jewish. He is about as religous as I am ( I think I know more about Judiasm than he does and I was confirmed in the Church of England!)

Anyhow, to cut a long story short ( no pun intended) I phone the cantor at 2pm yesterday and he had an opening this morning at 10am. I booked him, phoned my dear friend who was at the birth, is the kids guardian and happens to be a practicing Jew and she told me what to buy, do etc.

This morning, our apartment was transformed in to a kosher house, with a kiddish cup, yamakha's and kosher food and wine. We had a naming ceremony for our daughter (Raisal Brucha - which mean 'little rose & blessing') and the Bris for him (Shimone & Davide). It was a tremendous occasion with singing and dancing and food and wine and loved ones. My folks skyped in from Europe!! I am overjoyed that our kids will be able to explore their heritage on both sides of the faith and I was so moved by the wonderful Cantor and his amazing traditional sounds.

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like a real issue trying to get this scheduled! So glad it worked out xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! This sounds wonderful! Much, much better than a hospital room. Sometimes things work out better when they don't work out the first time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh, that sounds amazing, EB! You are already a rockstar mama for putting all of that together - what a wonderful occasion to remember! Mazeltov!
    Love,
    Maddy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds great!! :)

    I am a mommy to 5 month old twins (www.highheelhappy.blogspot.com) - if you ever need ANYTHING please feel free to email me at luckylucyjones@yahoo.com. I know it can be very hard in those first couple of months!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds lovely. My cousin is a Cantor and she did a naming for my daughter when she was a little over 3 months old. (I wanted to wait out flu and cold season before having her around a crowd.) It was around 40 people in my mother's living room. My cousin sang to my daughter, who was fascinated and didn't cry at all that day.

    ReplyDelete