Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Knocked off my feet

... by the kids cold. It's a doozy. High fever, body aches and queasiness. Luckily I am over the worst and on the mend. Thankfully its a light work week and I have A. taking care of the kids. She is wonderful. Yesterday I was really sick and didn't get out of bed. She went out with the kids to their class but brought home Chicken Soup! Then she stayed extra late to put the kids to bed. Today she brought a remedy form Panama and I swear it has done the trick.

I'm contemplating taking one of my guys to a developmental assessment place. I have no tangible reasons for this (eye contact is fine etc) just a hunch. Our nanny (who's opinion I value) says hell no! it will be on his educational record for ever and it will do him no favor.  Yet, if he needs help, he needs help.

What do you think?

4 comments:

  1. Both our boys had early intervention, if that is similar to what you are talking about. They mostly worked on gross motor skills and then, when a little older, they worked on verbalization. The kids really liked it and I dont think that it will be on their "permanent record.". That being said, I wouldn't be bothered if it was. My brother had to take special education classes when he was in elementary school. He was also held back in kindergarten because he couldn't seem to pay attention. They helped him work on his issues and he did very well in high school and college. I'm sure it is all in his permanent record, but it has only helped, not held him back. He is now quite successful and happy! AND, as it turned out later we realized my Dad has the same learning issues, but was more chastized in school rather than helped. While he has also done well in life he suffers from low self esteem when to certain tasks. My 2 cents, if you think that there may be a problem, it is best to get it addressed when kids are very young. Their brains are like sponges now and they can absorb and adapt to almost any therapy. If someone does find an issue, then think of all the time you'll have to address it before s/he starts school!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure what "permanent record" she is referring to, but you have maternal instincts for a reason so listen to the whisper if that is what you are hearing. No harm, no foul. Information is power (even when it's "no worries").

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Brenda and IIWII. There is no "educational record" at this point and as Brenda pointed out, I can't see how it would be harmful anyway. The biggest reason to do it (also pointed out by Brenda) is because IF he needs anything, NOW is the time to get it started. And if nothing is needed, you'll have peace of mind.

    Hope you feel better soon! A doozy of a cold would put me under!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a Speech-Language Pathologist. Mother always knows best. Contact an Early Intervention agency and set up an evaluation. You have nothing to lose. Listen to your gut and these wise women.
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete