Saturday, August 16, 2014

Holy Crapola they are 4! Now where is my bed?

The kids just turned 4. We were on vacation which I have realized means kids having fun, mum running herself to the ground, dad catching a head cold (aka man flu) and not helping in the least.

Oh JOY

So here i am, back from holiday and i am totally exhausted. What a joke.

I did give the fella a kick up the pants - an intervention of sorts. I went to see his therapist with him and alone and just let it all hang out. I told him that he either engages or gets out. No half measures. He committed and has been doing well (except on holiday where is totally got an E-)

the kids didn't notice coz they are used to daddy being useless but they did appreciate anything he did for them - which I can't actually remember at the moment.

We got back last night and it all went to shyte. Mimi screamed from midnight onwards coz she wanted to sleep in our bed (nooooo!) and DH was roaming like a vampire complaining of a really bad pain in his back. At 2am he went to the ER and it turns out he has kidney stones. OK, I know, they are super painful but omfg here comes the suffering.

While he was in the ER he updated me every time anything happened. He got back at 4am and woke me up to tell me all about it. Then Pip got up at 5am.

Seriously folks. I cannot do this. I work hard and balance my life well (I think) but after no rest on vacation and no sleep last night I have face ticks and a heavy head cold. When I go back to work on Monday it will be full on with back to back catch up meetings and the absolutely crazy ass that is my chosen profession.

Then I look at the kids. Pip is such a sweetheart. He is cuddly and cute and funny as hell. He giggles as much as he can and is as smart as a whip. Mimi is a firecracker with smarts way beyond her years. She can count and read even tho we are the laziest parents ever. She is kind and polite and bloody tempered and mean witch when she wants to be.  They both discovered their water baby heritage on vacation - splashing around with me in the pool for as long as they could without getting hypothermia.

Pip decided to quit diapers and is completely potty trained. He just decided one day. Just like he decided suddenly to quit teddy bears and binkies. Mimi needs a night nappy and hates using public toilets (don't really blame her).  Basically they are pretty damn amazing all around.

And in no time at all they start PreK in a very good but fairly ancient public school. It looks like something from my childhood and I love it. Big heavy doors, little tables and loo's. The smell of boiled cabbage and concentration. Good luck, dear teachers, you will have a major challenge with my guys and I have no intention of curbing their spirit.

OK. I have 50 mins to the cavalry arrives and I can sleep for two hours, uninterrupted. Two whole hours.

OH! I nearly forgot - I read a full novel for the first time since the kids arrived. Whohooo!

Hope all is well with you.


3 comments:

  1. Happy Belated Birthday, Pip and Mimi! Wow! Can't believe you are 4 already! Every year when you post about their birthday, EB, I still giggle when I think of your daring transfer. You were my hero! And look at that, your intuition proved correct! Hoping your first year of school is amazing!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miss your updates. Hope all is well.
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your blog is very inspiring! Especially for women over 40. Life really doesn’t end in 40-50! It’s only the beginning! You’re absolutely right! It's never too late to become a mother. I know it from my own experience. I gave birth to my daughters when I was 61! During my whole life there were no man to have kids with. I was not really lucky in choosing partners and there were no one whom I wanted to have kids from. So here I am, 58 years old, no kids no family. I thought that it's too late for all these. So I came to terms with the situation and continue my lonely life. But in a couple of months I met my Jorge - the love of my whole life, a man who loved me with his whole heart, a man, whom I gave all my love. All those failures in love were just wiped out and forgotten. Now I have him and nothing else matters. He was 63, he also had no kids. We understood and felt each other from the first meeting. And we've decided that it's time for us to build a family, which we had never had! I have menopause so we were not able to conceive a baby naturally. We didn't back down and decided to try ivf with donor egg. We've found clinic in Ukraine BioTexCom and went there. We became parents of 2 beautiful girls! They are 3 years old and we are the happiest family in the world! The service was good, their doctors are one of the best. They even helped us with our girls, when they were just born. Jorge and I were confused, we had no kids so we were scared to make something wrong. We didn't want to hurt our little babies. We didn't know how to hold our children and how to swaddle them, but the pediatrician and the coordinator of the program really helped us and showed how to do it right. They gave us recommendations how to treat our babies and we are really grateful about that. I've never regret about my decision. Finally I have big family I was dreaming about. I wish you and your boys all the best!

    ReplyDelete